NHS Dentist Complaints

NHS dental care is usually very good, and most people don’t have any problems. But occasionally things can go wrong.

Through our NHS Advocacy Service, we are here to provide an independent voice to help resolve a concern or complaint about a dental practice. We can also help you find out about local dental practices that are accepting new patients.

How to make a complaint

To make a complaint please use our self-help resource which will guide you through the different stages. Click onto the relevant link from the following list to access information or useful tools and tips:

If you have any questions, please contact our NHS Advocacy Service by email on NHSComplaints@healthwatcholdham.co.uk or telephone 0161 622 5700.

Other useful information and contacts

Alternatively, you can contact NHS England to ask for advice, raise concerns or make a complaint about a dental practice. NHS England is responsible for buying or commissioning dental services and if you feel your dentist isn't providing appropriate treatment on the NHS, you can use the NHS complaints procedure.

You can't use the NHS complaints procedure to complain about private treatment carried out by an NHS dentist. You should send these complaints to the Dental Complaints Service run by the General Dental Council.

You can contact NHS England by telephone on 0300 311 22 33 or by email at: england.contactus@nhs.net and put ‘For the attention of the complaints manager’ in the subject line.

You can also make a complaint to the General Dental Council if an NHS dentist is pressing you into having private care which is available on the NHS, as this could be a breach of the ethical standards that dentists must follow. The General Dental Council can be contacted by telephone on 020 7167 6000.

More resources and information about making a complaint about a dental service is also available on the Citizen’s Advice website